This post was sponsored by GOJO Industries, the makers of PURELL® Advanced Hand Sanitizer. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.Back to college is right around the corner for my two college girls. Besides maintaining a good GPA, staying healthy is one of their main goals for the upcoming semester. After all, poor health can mean missing lectures and valuable information, which could lead to getting bad grades. Living in tight quarters can make it more difficult to stay germ free, but it’s actually easier than students might think, say my daughters (college sophomore and first year law student). These are the steps my daughters take to keep their college dorms/apartments germ-free and stay healthy.
- Avoid sharing food, drinks, or beauty products. This can be difficult especially with your roommates, but it’s important to know that most common germs are spread this way. Don’t share chapsticks, toothbrushes and avoid drinking from a shared container – especially at parties. You never know whose germs you could be getting.
- Wash your hands throughout the day. We often forget the many things we touch throughout the day. Washing your hands is the most effective way for you to prevent spreading your own germs as well as in taking others. Wash your hands with water and soap for 20 seconds.
- Keep a hand sanitizer in your bag for when you’re on the go. Germs are everywhere, but water isn’t. Use an alcohol- based hand sanitizer like PURELL® Advanced Hand Sanitizer when water and soap are not available. A study showed absenteeism caused by illness was 20 percent lower in classrooms that used PURELL Hand Sanitizer regularly.
- Up your Vitamin C intake. Boost your immune system by adding more orange juice or a vitamin C supplement.
- Wipe down often used surfaces at the end of each day. Sanitize study desks, counters, remote controls, door knobs, computer keyboards, phones, etc.
- Exercise each day. Even just 15 minutes per day can make a huge difference on a student’s overall well-being. My girls run every day. Exercising boosts their immune system, gives more energy, tones their bodies, and helps them sleep better.
- Eat healthy at least 80% of the time. Let’s be real here. College is not known for healthy eating. It’s ok to have a treat 20% of the time so you don’t feel deprived. But it’s better to choose brown rice and chicken over pepperoni pizza and soda the other 80%.
- Take the PURELL® 30-Day Challenge.The other day I bought a bunch of school supplies for the kids and while I was there I also stocked up on PURELL® Advanced Hand Sanitizer. We use PURELL® year-long, but especially during the school year.
We keep PURELL® Hand Sanitizing Wipes and Hand Sanitizer in the car, in our purses, backpacks, and next to our computers. On Sundays, I help out in a church nursery and I use PURELL® after each diaper change. I also use PURELL®after I pump gas or use the ATM.
My kids have been pretty healthy too. They didn’t miss any class/lectures last school year. Staying healthy is extremely important to our household. As a single mom, I don’t have another parent to help us out if I get sick. And that’s the reason we’re taking the PURELL® 30-Day Challenge. We have pledged to use PURELL® Advanced Hand Sanitizer for 30 days, 3 times per day to help control the spread of illness-causing germs. This is the perfect way to make sure your school and college kids start off the school year with healthy habits. Why don’t you join us?