Avocados have so many proven health benefits, but is anyone eating avocado pits?
While wasting time on YouTube, I came across this VitaMix video in which the guy adds an avocado pit to his smoothie. He claims avocado pits “scrub out your arteries”.
I’ve eaten avocados for years but had no idea the pit was edible. I was curious and did some research.
Turns out ground avocado pits have powerful cancer-preventive properties. They also benefit cardiovascular health, according to US National Library of Medicine. Studies show the pits are the highest source of soluble fiber on the planet. But the benefits don’t stop there.
Avocado seeds contain nourishing oil that is rich in antioxidants. In fact, 70% of the antioxidants are found in the seed alone and the other 30% are actually in the flesh and skin.
Pennsylvania State University recently launched a study on the benefits of avocado seeds and here’s what they found:
– The seeds have the ability to lower high cholesterol levels and prevent heart conditions such as heart disease and strokes.
– The seeds are great for reducing inflammatory disease within the body.
– The seeds contain flavonol, which is an antioxidant that helps prevent and reduce tumor growths.
– They help strengthen the immune system.
– They help reduce bone diseases, joint discomforts and body aches and pains.
– The seeds are also useful for lowering blood glucose levels and for helping a person maintain a healthy weight.
Or you can place the pit into a plastic bag and crush it with a meat mallet or hammer. After, place the crushed seed into a blender and grind it.