My kids and I are huge fans of smoothies. We drink them for breakfast, as a snack, after a workout, or as a cool treat on a hot day. We love all kinds of smoothies, but our favorite is a blueberry smoothie. It’s full of antioxidants and flavor.
• If you have kids and have a hard time getting a healthy breakfast in them before school, let them drink a smoothie. Some smoothies taste like dessert, yet they are so good for you. There is a lot of hidden nutrition that is masked by the sweet flavor of fruit.
• Great boost after exercise. Smoothies are a perfect post-workout nutrition boost.
• A complete meal in a glass. No need to buy expensive, powdery meal replacement packs or shakes. The combination of oatmeal, flax seeds, yogurt, milk, and fruit makes these smoothies well rounded nutrition. Every smoothie will differ a little in nutrition according to the exact ingredients used.
• Add oats and flax seeds to blender. Blend on high until you have the consistency of flour. This helps the oats and flax seeds blend into the smoothie without a rough texture. The finer your grind them, the smoother your smoothie will be!
• Add the remaining ingredients.
• Enjoy your smoothie!
Making smoothies is not exact science. Some folks like them thinner, others prefer a thicker smoothie. Play around with other ingredients and find your perfect consistency and flavor. Sometimes I add spinach to my smoothie, avocado, tofu or peanut butter. As long as my kids only taste the sweet flavor of fruit, they drink it all up!