A few days ago, I turned 46. For some odd reason I have not warmed up to this number just yet. Which is weird – 44, 45, 46… does it really matter?
As we age, we think about what we could have done better in our younger years. Lately, I’ve thought a lot about my 20s and the things I did and didn’t do.
Every decade in life is important, but I think my 20s were the most eventful years. I traveled the country, went to college, got married and had two of my three children.
Looking back, here’s what I have learned. I hope my advice can help a younger generation with everyday life lessons.
1. People will come and go. Don’t look for them to make you happy. A few people will change your life forever.
2. The best things in life are the hardest to achieve. Nothing of value is formed in a minute. There is no such thing as overnight success.
3. Take pride in working hard. If you think you’re working hard, work harder. Talent will only get you so far. Successful people are successful because of their extraordinary work ethic.
4. Get in the habit of exercising. There are no short cuts to good health and a fit body.
5. Watch the alcohol. Liver damage is a real thing.
6. Keep a good credit score. One day you’ll want to own a home.
7. Live within your means. You don’t have to compare yourself to anyone. Don’t try to impress anyone but yourself.
8. Be honest. Be humble. Be kind. Treat others the way you want to be treated.
9. See the best in people. Most of them are good. Have faith in them.
10. Spend money on experiences, not stuff.
11. Travel, and travel lots.
12. It’s about the journey, not the destination. Enjoy each step of the way… it really doesn’t last long.
13. There are no guarantees in life. You’ll have good days and bad days. Do your best in each situation.
14. Don’t whine and complain about every single thing in your life. Work with what you’ve got and get your stuff done.
15. Tell people you love what they mean to you while you can. They will be gone someday. You won’t know when.
16. Get lots of sleep – it’s a beautiful thing.
17. Use sunscreen and take good care of your skin. It’ll make all the difference in your 40s.
18. Get rid of your baggage now because marriage will not fix any of your problems. Instead, it will magnify them.
19. Learn to use tools. Learn to cook.
20. Don’t worry if you don’t have it all figured out.
melodys100February 16, 2016
This is everything you do so well summed up in one perfect list, I love it!
sabinesFebruary 16, 2016
Thanks, Melody. Lots to learn in life, right?