This stain was the largest (it’s the only photo I have) and the hardest to remove. Honestly, I didn’t have much hope for it to work on this stain. Additionally, I had two smaller urine stains. My next step would have been to simply replace some of the damaged boards. So I had nothing to lose but to try the hydrogen peroxide method first.
Here’s the same stain after I sanded. I was able to remove a lot, but not all of it.
After soaking the stain in peroxide, this was the result. It’s not perfect but good enough for me. Perhaps longer soaking periods would have removed the stain entirely, but I was running out of time and needed to seal the floors. I don’t expect my 47-year-old floors to look perfect, anyway. Besides, this area is covered by a rug.
Also, I did not stain my floors. I assume a dark stain would have covered up whatever urine stain was left, but I wanted my floors as natural looking as possible so I skipped any dark stain and only used a sealer.
This was the area with the two minor urine stains. Nothing is left.
Here’s what I did:
After I sanded the floors, I tried a very simple home remedy. I soaked a clean cloth with a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution and placed it on the stain. I covered the cloth with plastic wrap. This kept it from drying out. At first, I checked on the stain every hour or so. But because this stain was so dark and large, I left the cloth overnight. For the smaller stains, an hour was enough.
In conclusion, if you aren’t looking for “perfect” floors, give this method a try. Replacing boards is neither simple nor cheap. My floors are old and full of ‘character’… and that’s what I love most about them.