Burnt out tail lights are a common reason for a police officer to pull you over, so when a friend of mine pointed out that the right tail light on my Prius was out, I knew I needed to get I fixed. A phone call to the Toyota dealer revealed this minor “repair” would set me back $40.
I am not an electrician or a mechanic, but last time I checked, light bulbs were a couple of bucks. To be exact, $2.24 for a Prius tail light bulb. Mine came in pair, so $4.48.
I want to show you how I did it. It’s really easy and it took less than five minutes. It would have taken me much longer just to drive to the dealer.
1. Locate the bulb you need to replace. Mine was on the passenger side in the lowest part of the assembly.
2. Buy the new light bulb. The guy at the auto supply store asked for model and year of the car. The turn signal and brake light worked fine but the tail light part was burnt out.
3. Remove the panel.
4. Remove the bulb assembly by twisting it counter clock wise.
5. Pull the bulb to remove it from the socket and insert the new bulb into the socket. You should feel it click.
6. Insert the bulb assembly back in and twist it clockwise.
7. Replace the cover.
8. Make sure the new bulb works. Hard to see in day light but it works.
Note: When changing the tail light bulb on your Prius or any car, be careful not to touch the glass part of the new bulb as this will cause the tail light bulb to burn out quicker. If you accidentally touch the glass, clean it with rubbing alcohol before installation.
It’s a simple task that saved me nearly $40 and a trip (with waiting time) to the dealer. The same thing happened when my dryer stopped working. I ordered a $3 fuse on Ebay and replaced it myself in just minutes.
YvonneJanuary 15, 2018
Thanks for this easy tutorial and saving me big bucks.
sabinesJanuary 15, 2018
This makes me so happy to hear!!
BisJuly 24, 2018
Worked like a charm for me today! Thank you very much!
sabinesJuly 24, 2018
Yes! Love it.
SteveOctober 11, 2018
Thanks. I will be doing the same thing after a police officer let me know that my right taillight on my Prius was out.
sabinesOctober 12, 2018
Glad this post was useful.
MikeJanuary 15, 2019
just to be clear, this is tail light, not break light. Is that correct? I am asking because there is one light bulb to change that causes you to change the whole rear lighting unit.
SabineJanuary 15, 2019
Yes, tail light.
Carla JohnsonOctober 3, 2019
Thank you so much! You just saved me $60.00. That’s how much Pepboys wanted to charge me to replace those bulbs.
SabineOctober 7, 2019
Such rip off!
ZubinNovember 11, 2019
Thanks for the helpful guide
FrankSeptember 2, 2020
Well done! Thanks for the tip
SabineSeptember 14, 2020